Your phone’s data and safety is at the verge of vulnerability. Anytime your data can be hacked, your smartphone can be infected. What the heck am I talking about? This thought may have crossed your mind after reading the above lines. What, if I say the above lines are true? Hi people! I am back with another new yet informative and important topic for the safety and security of the data of all our users. Here, we will talk about malwares and how to protect our devices and data from them. We will talk about “Agent Smith”, are you thinking about that fictional character portrayed by Hugo Weaving in the Matrix? No , I wouldn’t talk about him, I will rather talk about a new malware which has reportedly penetrated in 15 million mobile phones in India and other Asian countries.
What is “Agent Smith”?
Recently it discovered by researchers. It is modular malicious software. It does not affect your mobile phone directly. Automatically it replaces your installed app with malicious version without getting interacts with users.
This malware has infected 25 million smartphones across the world. In the US there are 300,000 affected devices while Bangladesh has 2.5 million infected devices. Apart from UK US and Australia it also detected in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
How “Agent Smith” works?
It exactly works like its movie series character Agent Smith, who used to clone himself. It operates in different stages. At first attacker suggest some free apps to download. In which game app and entertainment apps are included. After installing such apps Agent Smith attacks fastly on other previous installed app. Currently this malware is only showing ads in advertently on the mobile phones. It can be interpreted that in future it can steal our sensitive information.
Google’s stand on it.
When Google came to know about this malware, it has removed 16 suspected apps from the play store, which are mentioned below. It is being said that these apps have the said malicious modular software in dormant and inactive conditions.
- Ludo Master- New Ludo Game 2019 for free
- Sky warriors : General Attack
- Shooting Jet
- Color phone flash: Call Screen Theme
- Bio Blast – Infinity Battle Shoot Virus
- Photo Projector
- Cooking Witch
- Gun Hero – Gunman Game For Free
- Blockman Go: Free Realms & Mini Games
- Clash of Virus
- Angry Virus
- Rabbit Temple
- Star Range
- Kiss Game – Touch Her Heart
- Girl Cloth Xray Scan Simulator
- Crazy Juicer – Hot Knife Hit Game and Juice Blast
It is advised to the android users that if they have downloaded or using any of these applications they should uninstall them immediately. Google will not provide any updates regarding these removed applications.
How to remove “Agent Smith” from your smartphones?
You can only remove Agent Smith from your phone if you know that it has penetrated in your phone. It is pretty easy to confirm whether it has or not. If you see more advertisements than usually appear on the app screen you must be sure that there is something fishy going on with your phone. If you see advertisements which are not related to what you search for that means your phone is infected.
- Run a virus scan on your phone, it will tell you whether there is a virus or malware on your phone or not.
- Remove all the infected apps and those apps which Google has removed from the play store.
- If still you think there is malware in your phone you can factory reset your smartphone.
I hope now you are aware about Agent Smith very well. As we all know epidemic of hacking and stealing confidential information of people is spread in the world. Now, we shall discuss about the ways through which we can prevent our mobile phones from getting hacked:
- Do not download any apps from a third party app store, use only authorized Google play store or Apple’s App store for downloading any sort of applications.
- Do not get in the catch of free applications, on internet nothing is free, if something is available without spending money, it is compromising with your data.
- In your phone’s security settings, turn off the option of “Download & Installation of Apps from unknown sources” and even in the worst case scenario do not turn it on.
- Remove all the applications which ask for more than usual access.
- Install a good antivirus on your phone.
- Do not click on any suspicious links, they may be malicious.
So this was all about Agent Smith. To read more on other interesting topics like this get in touch with us.